Friday, January 18, 2013

Getting up to speed...

Well, I haven't done a good job of keeping this updated.  Must need to do something different or make it easier for me.  I just need to create a new habit.  Maybe if I choose a certain day of the week to post?  Since today is Friday, let's try Fridays for starters.

I have been enjoying Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/spicewagon) quite a bit lately and I need to see how I can incorporate what I'm doing there with what I'll be doing here.  I'd like to use this as a site to post photos and articles on food and cooking... that is one of my true passions.

A LITTLE HISTORY




I'm going to tell you about this recipe and how I found it.  But first, a little history.  

I was raised a vegetarian.  Way back when it wasn't "cool".  My mom was an EXCELLENT cook, and still is, for that matter.  She always had something delicious on the table and did it on a very tight budget.  I like to kid her and say that the only thing she served us that wasn't good was a block of tofu.  Yes, just a block of tofu jiggling on a plate without any sauce, or anything.  I don't know if the story is true, but it makes for a good way to get my mom to laugh.

Now, I on the other hand, have moments of incredible creativity in the kitchen and then I'll do something like burn the garlic bread.  So, I have to work REALLY HARD at it.

My daddy was a pastor and momma played the organ.  We traveled as evangelists for the church I was raised in -- and yes, being a vegetarian was part of that religious upbringing.  I don't regret it but I like to have choices.  And now, I can choose to eat meat or not.  It's up to me.  And I love to make those vegetarian favorites every once in a while too.

Funny thing, it seems like I've been going through my recipe books for months now.  Yes, not only cookbooks that I dare not part with but cardfiles of recipes dating all the way back to 8th grade.  I have clippings from the Chicago Tribune from 1974 with recipes I've never tried on them!

I'm slowly getting rid of the recipes it seems I would never make in a hundred years now.  Like "Soy Milk and Bran Flake Muffins."  I'm making that one up, but some of the recipes are really that far out.

I was 34 years old before I ever cooked meat.  And prior to that, the only meat I had came from Taco Bell or Mrs. Winner's.  If it had a bone, I didn't know how to eat it.  When I first started cooking meat, I was living with a guy that was really a pretty good cook -- a little limited -- but he could cook southern food just like his mama.  Anyway, I pretty much learned from him and have taught myself since then.

Oh, the recipe I promised you.  Seems like a good time to tell you about it.

IT'S RAINING MEATBALLS

My mom makes wonderful VEGETARIAN meatballs and they always get rave reviews.  I don't know if she has ever made a true meatball.  I sure hadn't until I ran across this recipe.  I was making dinner for my fiance Jim, and his daughter, Mary about 8 months ago.  We were going to have pasta and I just decided, how about I try to make a real meatball to go along with it.

Who would I turn to for the best recipe?  Emeril of course.  I have his Potluck cookbook and looked in the index.  Sure enough, there's a recipe called "Paul Makes Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs and Red Gravy."  Great title, right?  I thought, now this sounds really good for a first try at a meatball.  And when I checked the seasonings, which is what I do... I scan the ingredients and the seasonings and if I can "taste" it, then I know it's worth a try.  Anyway, we made those meatballs that night and they were AMAZING!

So, for the second time -- I made those same meatballs the other night.  And there were 20 of them.  So, that meant -- 4 with Cavatappi pasta, 4 as meatball sandwiches, 4 more with pasta at another meal, 1 with pasta for lunch, 3 mixed with rice for stuffed peppers, and 2 in the freezer.  And there's one in the frig for a quick lunch.  Let me tell you... in this day and time.  When you can cook 1 meal which equals about 4-1/2 lbs. of sirloin, sausage and italian sausage -- cavatappi pasta, boule rolls and red peppers... you've done well!  That whole bit cost under $16 for all those meals!  By the way, I made all of the meatballs and only cooked the ones I needed at the time.  The ones for the peppers were just stored in a gallon size ziplock bag in the fridge.  (It was important to use them all within about 5 days as they do have raw egg in them.)  You can always store in the freezer and pull out just what you need... microwaving on defrost for about 8 minutes and then finishing off in the leftover sauce.

I will add the recipe shortly.

And then, you will have a chance at making this your very own version of this tasty meatball and sauce recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment